Thursday 19 December 2013

Compliments Etiquette | Talk

Hello everybody!

I'm not too sure if the title makes sense so just bear with me. The other day I was talking to a lovely lady I had just met and I the following conversation inspired me to write this post. The conversation goes:

Me: How are you?

Anonymous Lady: I'm great! You?

Me: Yeah, I'm fine. You look stunning in that dress.

Anonymous Lady: Oh no I'm like the ugliest person I know.

Side note this is when things started to get a little bit awkward. 

This was how the conversation went and at this point of the conversation I didn't know what to say, I mean I just said that she was gorgeous and she denied it?!

DISCLAIMER: *The following is my personal view on this situation, if you have a different view please feel free to leave it in the comments below, but please be polite*.

When situations such as the one described above, are thrust upon me, I don't know what to do. In my mind I am just like "I JUST COMPLEMENTED YOU AND YOU ARE TURNING THAT OPPORTUNITY DOWN WHAAATT". Sorry for bringing all of that caps lock on you but when someone takes the time out to say something nice about you, embrace it. They perhaps looked at you or whatever it is and thought in their actual mind "oh gosh he/she is looking great ext." They then went to the effort to actually telling you. If you are one of those people who say things like that don't bring yourself down and don't put people like me in situations that are just so awkward!

It is just part of complimenting etiquette to perhaps just say "thank you" and perhaps say something nice about the other person. I think some people think that they are being polite by saying "oh no I am so not pretty" ext ext. It makes me really sad knowing that a such phrases are considered "normal", because it's one thing when people who hardly know you bring you down, but when you are doing it to yourself it's worse.

So do me a favour please. Next time someone complements you smile at them and say THANK YOU! Because they took the time out of their day to say that you are beautiful and lets face it, you are.

- Padfoot



No comments:

Post a Comment